Plan for Makeup ClassesNovember 05, 2012
Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students:
My thoughts are with you and your families as you begin to restore your lives to as close to normal as is possible under the circumstances. As you know, classes resumed today, Monday, November 5. Both licensing and accreditation rules require us to make up the lost instruction time. The Law School administration has considered several possibilities and studied the plans announced by other schools. In our situation, the least disruptive option is to add four class days to the end of the semester and devote two of our remaining Fridays and some of our window hours to makeup classes.
As you know, classes could not meet for a week. Even after classes resume, some members of our community will still be coping with the aftermath of the storm. The plan for making up the lost classes is a bit complex but there are a lot of moving parts in this system. We must ask for your cooperation. Working together, we can minimize the impact of the storm and best support each other during this challenging time.
Here is the plan:
The exam period will end on December 19. Classes will be extended through Friday, December 7, and Friday, November 30 will follow a Thursday class schedule. This will make four days available for make-up classes, November 30 and December 5, 6, and 7.
In addition, we will utilize a Wednesday window hour from 4–6:00 p.m. on November 28 and part of the day on Friday, November 16 for some later afternoon and evening makeup classes in order to avoid holding makeup classes on Friday evenings.
- Friday, November 16—regularly scheduled Wednesday evening classes (i.e., scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. or later) will meet from 11:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 28—regularly scheduled Thursday late afternoon and evening classes (i.e., scheduled to start close to 4:00 p.m. or later) will meet during the window hour from 4–6:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 30—regularly scheduled Thursday morning and early afternoon classes (i.e., scheduled to end no later than 4:00 p.m.) will meet.
- Wednesday, December 5—regularly scheduled Monday classes will meet.
- Thursday, December 6—regularly scheduled Tuesday classes will meet.
- Friday, December 7—regularly scheduled Wednesday morning and early afternoon classes (i.e., scheduled to end no later than 4:00 p.m.) will meet.
The Registrar will automatically reschedule classes on November 30, December 5, 6 and 7. Faculty should notify the Registrar’s office as soon as possible if you are not going to use your rescheduled classroom during the makeup days.
The Registrar will not automatically reschedule makeup classes meeting on November 16 and November 28 during the small window hours that have been dedicated to makeup classes. Faculty should contact the Registrar’s office to schedule Wednesday evening classes (for November 16) and Thursday late afternoon and evening classes (for November 28).
There will be no regularly scheduled Friday classes on November 30.
The plan for making up our relatively rare Friday classes is still developing and must account for space and other constraints. Regularly scheduled Friday classes meeting on November 9 and November 16 may be able to extend some class periods (subject to room availability) to make up for the missed sessions on Friday, November 2, (due to the Hurricane) and November 30 (due to the statutory Thursday). Similarly, Saturday classes may meet for an extended period of time to make up for missed classes.
Please note that faculty members have some discretion and flexibility in scheduling makeup classes and assignments. Some faculty members have already begun to hold classes online, through TWEN and other platforms. Others may elect to assign a paper or other written assignment to make up for one of the missed classes. The ABA affords faculty this flexibility.
Moreover, we know that some students have been severely affected by Hurricane Sandy and will be unable to attend classes this week. Other students may not be able to attend makeup classes. As such, faculty members are instructed to record their classes during the week of November 5–9 and to record all makeup classes. Faculty members should contact media services for any assistance they may require in recording these classes.
Faculty members should be in communication with their students as soon as possible to inform them about rescheduled classes, online classes, or makeup assignments. Students similarly should inquire of their faculty about makeup classes if they have any questions.
The exam period will begin on Monday, December 10 and end on December 19. December 8 and 9 will be reading days.
All exams previously scheduled for Friday, December 7 will be rescheduled for December 14.
Take-home exams will be available for download via the Exam4 website (www.exam4.com) on Friday, December 7 at 12:30 a.m.
The deadline for all seminar papers and independent studies is extended to December 7 at 6:00 p.m.
The Revised Schedule:
- Friday, November 16: Partial Wednesday Class Schedule from 11:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 28: Partial Thursday Class Schedule during window period
- Friday, November 30: Partial Thursday Class Schedule
- Wednesday, December 5: Monday class Schedule
- Thursday, December 6: Tuesday Class Schedule
- Friday, December 7: Partial Wednesday Class Schedule
- December 8 and 9: Reading days
- December 10–December 19: Final examinations (12/7 exams rescheduled to 12/14)
We will do our best to keep you updated as our plan is refined and things come into focus. Should you have any concerns or questions about this revised schedule, please do not hesitate to contact me (email@example.com) or the Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sheila Foster, Vice Dean