Associate Professor of Law
Curriculum Vitae [PDF]
Office: Room 336
Hours: by appointment
Office: Room 336
Hours: by appointment
Research & Teaching AreasComparative; Business; Economics & Law
BioAn expert in comparative corporate law and governance, Associate Professor Martin Gelter joined Fordham Law School in 2009. Previously, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Law and Business Law at the WU Vienna University of Economics. He also has been a Terence M. Considine Fellow in Law and Economics and a John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics at Harvard Law School, and a Visiting Fellow at the University of Bologna. His scholarship has been published in distinguished journals including Harvard International Law Journal, NYU Journal of Law and Business, and Fordham International Law Journal.
- Assistant Professor, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Civil Law and Business Law
- Terence M. Considine Fellow and John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics, John M. Olin Center for Law, Economics, and Business, Harvard Law School
- Visiting Fellow, Institute of Advanced Studies, Department of Law “Antonio Cicù” and Department of Economics, University of Bologna
- European Corporate Governance Institute (nominated as research associate in 2006)
- American Law and Economics Association
- European Association for Law and Economics
- Lift not the Painted Veil! To Whom are Directors' Duties Really Owed? forthcoming in 2015 U. ILL. L. REV. (with Geneviève Helleringer) [working paper download].
- Whose Trojan Horse? The Dymanics of Resistance against IFRS, forthcoming in 36 U. PA. J.INT'L L. (2014) (with Zehra G. Kavame) [working paper download].
- Constituency Directors and Corporate Fiduciary Duties, forthcoming in PHILOSOPHICAL FOUNDATIONS OF FIDUCIARY LAW (Oxford University Press, Andrew Gold & Paul Miller eds., 2014) (with Geneviève Helleringer) [working paper download].
- Citations to Foreign Courts - Illegitimate and Superfluous, or Unavoidable? Evidence from Europe, 62 AM. J. COMP. L. 35-85 (2014) (with Mathias M. Siems) [working paper download].
- Risk-shifting through Issuer Liability and Corporate Monitoring, 14 EUR. BUS. ORG. L. REV. 497-533 (2013) [working paper download].
- Language, Legal Origins, and Culture before the Courts: Cross-Citations between Supreme Courts in Europe, forthcoming in 21 SUP. CT. ECON. REV. (2013) (with Mathias M. Siems) [working paper download].
- The Pension System and the Rise of Shareholder Primacy, 43 SETON HALL L. REV. 909-970 (2013).
- Corporate Governance, Corporate and Employment Law, and the Costs of Expropriation, 8 REV. L. & ECON. 457-486 (2012) (with Giulio Ecchia & Piero Pasotti) [working paper download].
- Why do Shareholder Derivative Suits Remain Rare in Continental Europe?, 37 BROOKLYN J. INT'L L. 843-892 (2012).
- Networks, Dialogue, or One-Way Traffic? An Empirical Analysis of Cross-Citations Between Ten of Europe's Highest Courts, 8 UTRECHT L. Rev. 88-99 (2012).
- Taming or Protecting the Modern Corporation? Shareholder-Stakeholder Debates in a Comparative Light, 7 NYU J. L. & BUS. 641-730 (2011) [working paper download].
- Tilting the Balance between Capital and Labor? The Effects of Regulatory Arbitrage in European Corporate Law on Employees, 33 FORDHAM INT'L L. J. 792-857 (2010).
- The Dark Side of Shareholder Influence: The Connection between Managerial Autonomy and Stakeholder Orientation in Comparative Corporate Governance, 50 HARV. INT’L L. J. 129-194 (2009).
- The Transatlantic Divergence in Legal Thought: American Law and Economics vs. German Doctrinalism, 31 HASTINGS INT’L & COMP. L. REV. 295-360 (2008) (with K. Grechenig).
- How the Old World Encountered the New One: Regulatory Competition and Cooperation in European Corporate and Bankruptcy Law, 81 TULANE L. REV. 577-646 (2007) (with L. Enriques); reprinted in 49 CORPORATE PRACTICE COMMENTATOR 653-722 (2007) [working paper download].
- Legal Liability of Directors and Company Officials (Report to the Russian Securities Agency), Part 1: 2007 COLUM. BUS. L. REV. 614-799; Part 2: 2008 COLUM. BUS. L. REV. 1-171 (with Bernard Black, Brian Cheffins, Hwa-Jin Kim, Richard Nolan, Mathias Siems & Linia Prava Law Firm).
- Constraining Dominant Shareholders' Self-Dealing: The Legal Framework in France, Germany and Italy, 4 EUR. COMPANY & FIN. L. REV. 491-528 (2007) (with Pierre-Henri Conac & Luca Enriques).
- The Subordination of Shareholder Loans in Bankruptcy, 26 INT’L REV. L. & ECON. 478-502 (2006) [working paper download].
- Regulatory Competition in European Company Law and Creditor Protection, 7 EUR. BUS. ORG. L. REV. 417-453 (2006) (with Luca Enriques); reprinted in THE LAW AND ECONOMICS OF CREDITOR PROTECTION: A TRANSATLANTIC PERSPECTIVE 421-457 (Horst Eidenmüller & Wolfgang Schön eds. 2008).
- The Structure of Regulatory Competition in European Corporate Law, 5 J. CORP. L. STUDIES 247-284 (2005) [working paper download].
- Harvard Law School, S.J.D., 2009, LL.M., 2003 (waived for S.J.D. fellowship)
- WU Vienna University of Economics and Business, Dr. rer.soc.oec., 2003, Mag.rer.soc.oec., 1998
- University of Vienna, Dr. iur., 2001, Mag. iur., 1998