Associate Professor of Law
Office: Room 7-109
Research & Teaching AreasRace; Law & Biomedical Ethics; Race and the Law; Drug Regulation; Health Law; Legislation & Regulation
BioAssociate Professor Kimani Paul-Emile teaches and researches in the areas of law & biomedical ethics, health law, drug policy, and legislation & regulation. In 2011, she was awarded a Public Health Law Research grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the nation’s leading philanthropy on health and health care. In 2013, Dr. Paul-Emile was selected by the Greenwall Foundation to receive a Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics for 2013-2016: a career development award intended to enable outstanding junior faculty members to carry out original research to help resolve important policy and clinical dilemmas at the intersection of ethics and the life sciences.
Prior to pursuing her doctoral degree, Dr. Paul-Emile served as associate counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, and practiced civil rights law at the Center for Constitutional Rights, where she was a National Association for Public Interest Law (now Equal Justice Works) Fellow and later the William Moses Kunstler Fellow for Racial Justice. Dr. Paul-Emile also served as senior faculty development consultant at the New York University Center for Teaching Excellence.
- Foreword: Critical Race Theory and Empirical Methods, ___Fordham Law Review __ (forthcoming 2015)
- Reconsidering Criminal Background Checks, Race, and Redemption. In Challenging Punishment (New Press, forthcoming 2015)
- The Racist Patient: How Should A Physician Respond? (co-authored with Alex Smith, M.D., M.D., M.P.H) (forthcoming 2015)
- Beyond Title VII: Rethinking Race, Ex-Offender Status, and Employment Discrimination in the Information Age, 100 VIRGINIA L. REV. 893 (2014)
- Patient Racial Preferences and the Medical Culture of Accommodation, 60 UCLA L. REV. 462 (2012)
- The Regulation of Race in Science, 80 GEO. WASH. L. REV. 1115 (2012)
- Making Sense of Drug Regulation, 19 CORNELL J.L. & PUB. POL'Y 691 (2010)
- New York University, Ph.D.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Brown University, B.A., with Honors
- Lawyers of Color "50 Under 50," American Bar Association, Minority Counsel (2014)
Named to the ABA Lawyers of Color “50 Under 50,” a comprehensive
catalog of minority law professors making an impact in legal education.
- Faculty Scholar Award in Bioethics, Greenwall Foundation (2013-2016)
- Public Health Law Research Grant, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2011-2013)
- Health Law Scholar, American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics and the St. Louis University Law School Center for Health Law Studies (2010)