Barbara S. Gillers
Fordham University School of Law
140 West 62nd Street
New York, NY 10023
Barbara S. Gillers practices and teaches in the area of professional responsibility, legal ethics and the Law Governing Lawyers. Ms. Gillers teaches Professional Responsibility and Legal Ethics for Corporate Lawyers in New York and has also taught at the school’s graduate law program based in Singapore. She is
also currently an Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law. In addition, Ms. Gillers serves as a Vice President of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and a member of the New York State Bar Association's Committee on Standards of Attorney Conduct, which studies and make recommendations for changes in the rules of professional conduct that govern lawyers in New York State.
From 1998 to 2009 Ms. Gillers was of counsel at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP where she practiced in the area of the law governing lawyers and law firms, advising law firms, not-for-profit and corporate law departments and others on compliance and regulatory matters including matters before government regulators and courts. From 1979 to 1983, Ms. Gillers was an Assistant US Attorney in the Southern District of New York and held various positions in both the public and private sector. She
thereafter served as the First Deputy Chief Counsel to the Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Judicial Department of New York for nine years. While at the Disciplinary Committee, Ms. Gillers handled complex and sensitive investigations and prosecutions, participated in the management of the office and advised on changes to the Court's Rules and the New York Code of Professional Responsibility.
Ms. Gillers has taught as an adjunct professor at both Brooklyn Law School and New York Law School. She also writes and speaks frequently on lawyer regulatory issues, with talks on American legal ethics in Ho Chi Minh City, Shanghai and Beijing; and in the US, at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the Federal Bar Council, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the PLI Annual Securities Institute, and to the ABA/ALI Sarbanes-Oxley Institute. Ms. Gillers is admitted to the bar in New York and to practice before the United States Supreme Court and the federal courts for the Second Circuit, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of Connecticut.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York: Vice-President (2009-2010), Executive Committee (Chair,
2008-2009, Member, since 2005)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Task Force on the Role of the Lawyer in Corporate
- Committee on Professional and Judicial Ethics (Chair, 2002-2005, Member, 1998-2001)
- Committee on Professional Responsibility (Member, 1995-1998); Civil Rights Committee (Member,1982-
- ALI-ABA Advisory Panel on Professional Responsibility (Member, 2005 - present)
- New York State Bar Association Committee on Standards of Attorney Conduct (COSAC) (Member, 2009-
- New York State Bar Association's Task Force on the Profession (1995)
- Federal Bar Council: Director, Federal Bar Foundation (2000-2006); past member of the Public Service and
- J.D., 1973, New York University School of Law
- LLM (tax), 1987 New York University School of Law
- B.A., 1970 (with honors) Barnard College, Columbia University